Wilton House іs аn English country house situated аt Wilton near Salisbury іn Wiltshire. The house stands on a site of a 9th century nunnery founded by King Alfred. A 12th century Benedictine abbey, with its surrounding lands, was surrendered at the time of the Dissolution of the monasteries to King Henry VIII, who gave them to William Herbert around 1542. The Wilton House has remained in the Herbert family since this time and is the home of the Earl of Pembroke. This amazing house with art treasures, history and 21 acres of gardens and parkland attracts visitors from all over the world.
The dining room was voted the winner of the Historic Houses Restoration Award 2010 by The Historic Houses Association and Sotheby’s.
William Herbert, the 18th Earl of Pembroke, inherited the estate in 2005, and since then with the assistance of the Wilton House Trustees and the interior designer David Mlinaric the estate has been through extensive restoration projects.
Many rooms have been worked on, but out of all of them, the private dining room forms the centerpiece of the extensive renovations on the estate to date. For many years the dining room was used as a games room and general storage room but today stands in it’s former glory. This work has taken local craftsmen many months to complete. The walls were painted in a dark blueish green to match an existing paint sample, and the ceiling and paneling mouldings in a stone colour. The furnishings underwent major conservation work – two giltwood torcheres, three tapestries, the table, two large Reynolds portraits.
All Info Sited From Art.anazana.com