The University College Dublin Newman House is an impressive Georgian town house lavishly decorated with some of the finest late baroque plasterwork of it’s kind in Ireland. The venue shows itself to be one of the most distinctive elegant historical atmospheres available to the public at large in Ireland.
Newman House is an important landmark on St Stephen’s Green. The house gets it name from the theologian and scholar Dr. John Henry Newman who was the rector for the Catholic University of Ireland. Today The Newman House comprises of two superb Georgian townhouses, which are particularly known for their elegant interior and spectacular plasterwork. The first, No.85 was built in 1738 and has fine stucco work by the Lafranchini brothers, while No.86 built in 1765 contains stucco work by Robert West, the most distinctive of the Dublin School of Plaster Workers.
The Saloon is one of the most splendid Georgian interiors in Dublin, with fine plasterwork by the Swiss Lafranchini brothers dating to c.1738. Beautifully carved cherubs decorate the exquisite ceiling and large windows, over-looking St. Stephen’s Green, allow floods of natural light into the room creating a bright alluring feel. The Saloon’s elegance and grandeur leaves a lasting impression.
Use plasterwork to enhance your own furniture and interiors. Music plaques have been most commonly seen on Trumeau Mirrors commonly seen on the walls in 18th century interiors. Plaques can be hammered on to cabinet doors, and also used to enhance doorways, and walls.