Kate Spade Handbags has become a world wide brand known for their punchy colors and elegant youthful looks. Kate and Andy Spade launched their handbags in January 1993. They started out mainly selling handbags, but eventully branched out into additional accessories and items for the home. Today they create everything from jewelry,shoes, bags, and home linens. In 1986, Kate, worked in the accessories department of Mademoiselle in Manhattan. It was at Mademoiselle, she met Andy Spade, and the two worked side by side in sales in a men's clothing store. While Kate and Andy have distinct styles, they come together with in unity in color and style. It comes as no surprise that these chic designers would have a home as stylish as their retail spaces. Along with interior designer Steven Sclaroff, there home was designed around exquisite furnishings and outstanding antiques.
On one hand, their home features classic interior colors, such as grey, with white and gold picture frames, and classic wood antiques, while other rooms feature very bright wallpaper and punchy art.
What can we take from their designer home?
1. The Spades know how to liven up their interior with a bit of color and lovely antique furniture. Every wall is covered in art, but the overall look doesn't look messy. Showcase art that feature sketches. There is nothing wrong with featuring a number of sketches and throwing in a colorful painting into the mix.
2. Pick up quality furniture. They mix classic regency styles with empire, and french, but all the furntiure works well with one another.
3. Upholstery, either on chairs or headboards is an opportunity to showcase a fabric. Go for bright colors, such as blue, pink or green and combine it with a gold frame. Did you see the silky blue and white Regency chairs with the Spades in it?
4. Work with the color wheel, and use opposite colors to make certain elements stand out. If you have a stunning red chair, feature it against a neutral gray wall. Using too much color is not recommended, because often times the house can look like a rainbow. Decide to throw in a little color here and there. If there is a specific fabric that you adore, decide to highlight your favorite items, and then decide on the walls, and the surrounding furniture.
5. Don't forget that small areas, can be highly decoative as well. Did you see the striped fabric in their hallway? An area such as this often is not decorated in most homes. Take advantage of the space, and highlight it with some black and white family photos.
New York Magazine - The Spades New Bag- February 14, 2010
The Selby shot the Spades home for their site
Habitually Chic Blog Features Town And Country Magazine Pictures on The Spades.